Saturday, May 4, 2013

You care HOW much?

Being trans means being Hated by a small vocal group of people, and being ignored by most everyone else.
Even those people who support our having basic human rights ate typically ignorant of the ways in whichtrans people are marginalized.
So after reading another article detailing how a radio presenter or a writer for a british liberal newspaper can get away with speech that if you replaces trans or rather the many intentional slurs with say, a similar epithet that targeted a racial minority, would end those same people's careers it makes me wonder how aware of this stuff my cisgendered friends actually are.
And how much anyone cares or want's to know.
I was talking with a friend the other day about the state of access to healthcare for trans people and how for instance, if I developed breast cancer my insurance wouldn't cove any of the cost on the basis that it was related to my transition.  Never mind the fact that men get breast cancer too, albeit at much lower rates.
This information came as a bit of a surprise to my aforementioned friend, so much so that I realized "wait, nobody except trans people actually knows about this problem we face".
I'm so acutely aware of the problems I'm likely to encounter (and have mercifully been spared so far) that I sort of forget just how invisible the trans population is, even to those people who are wholly sympathetic to our cause.
I generally want to keep this blog as up beat as possible, and where things are more serious I'd prefer to be writing about my personal experience as opposed to highlighting injustices done to others.
At the same time though, I realize that a great many of my friends have no idea of the actual chalenges trans people face so I'm at a bit of a quandary as to whether I want to do more educational posts, or keep things as they are at present.
I certainly don't want to burn anyone out with tales of woe as even I get compassion fatigue, and the issue directly affects me!
Anyway, I'd welcome peoples thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. I would keep them as they are at present. I like the personal aspect. If you are talking about something that people may have a question about or you don't want to get to far into detail in then maybe a link at the end where they could find out more on their own. I think the ignorance about what trans face is like most things, people don't know the depth it is to be homeless and how to pull yourself out of a drug addiction or the plight of living in a country that doesn't have clean water. Until it touches you and you actively look in to someone else world people will happily live in their own bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres my two cents (from your cis Sis :P) I would write posts about these things (because it IS important for more people to know) When you have something concreate your readership can do to help - e.g a petition to sign or some such. Now one could argue 'how much do internet petitions accomplish? but one thing the accomplish is to help with our feelings of helplessness, and in this case, when your main goal is to educate, I think that's a really importnat thing. If, as a cis reader, you tell me about someway in which trans people are being marginalized that I had never heard of, thats good that I now know, but as you say, you run the risk of compassion fatigue after a while and also a sense of, "look I know I have privileges, and I totally agree that you should have them too, but what exactly can I do other than feel bad about being privileged?'
    If there is , on the other hand, something I can put my name to to say - "I'm a cis person and this treatment of my trans sister is WRONG' Then I get to be on your team rather than feeling bad for being in the privileged majority.
    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rowan, we met a few times awhile back through my husband Mike who loves Lastwear's clothing. =) Here's my two cents: There is another group other the ones who ignore and the ones who vocally hate. There are those of us who do not judge and try to empathize with your situation. Do remember we are out there. Typically we are introverts and as introverts we don't vocalize much, but it doesn't mean we hate or ignore. Speak from your heart. I find it is most effective. On subjects you find yourself getting really riled up about to the point you may think your not going to be able to be objective, try before you write to get to the basis of why you're so upset, use that basis as your topic and then go at it from the educational point of view but definitely include how you feel. I think you have a unique opportunity to help others going through similar circumstances and enlighten many. Remember people's hate comes from fear, not understanding and that it is all about them, not you. If you can alleviate fear and help them understand, you will help the human race step a few steps forward. Transgender is simply something people don't hear much about so when they do hear, I don't think they know what to think. You are unique. Unique is good. You have a unique opportunity to manifest unconditional love and understanding in our world. My heart goes out to you and your family. -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NEED the education you provide whether light hearted or tales of woe, they are all valuable to me. Yeah you are my Rabbi

    ReplyDelete