Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Depression - Too low for Title

I'm depressed.
I haven't been depressed for over a year so the fact that I am now is really worrying me.
Depression was a pretty regular part of my life pre-transition.
Two or three times a year I'd watch as my mood dropped away beneath me and I found myself numb, emotionless and exhausted. 
It usually lasted a few couple of months before lifting.
I'd like to think that it was something that I decided to do each time that finally got me out of it but, in hindsight, I'm not so sure.
Since I started transitioning I'd had some emotional ups and downs but i had not been depressed.
Until now.
This last month I moved into a new appartment and, at around the same time, my hormone levels dropped.  For the first two weeks, while I was moving my stuff and working like crazy to get the place clean, I was also going trough all the symptoms of menopause, I think I also had a viral infection too.
As exhausting as it all was I was still upbeat, still feeling positive
These last two weeks though have been just like the old days.
After almost a whole year without being depressed (the longest period of my adult life) I find myself back in this all too familiar pit and I am scared.
I'm scared because I thought I'd found the answer to my emotional problems, and now?
Of course, I just switched to injectable estrogen and there will be a period of adjustment and fine tuning to get the dosage right, and maybe it's just that.
Or maybe it's that my house is still such a mess that I feel trapped in my bedroom and unable to face it.
Or maybe, depressed is just who I am as a person, maybe this is just me returning to baseline after one good year.
It can't be that last option, I simply can't let it be.
Not after having felt truly like myself for the first time ever. 
Going back to that place is worse than death and I can't let it happen.
I just don't know what I can do to stop it.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that you feel this way. I cant tell you what you and your blogs mean to me, they have helped me evolve from someone who didn't care about people to someone who actually hurts when people are in pain. I love you as a friend and both VALUE and ADMIRE you as a person

    ReplyDelete