Monday, June 10, 2013

The Kids are Alright

This is barely a post at all, but this little thing made me so happy and gave me so much hope that I have to share it.

Popping into the hardware store to get a key cut the other day I notice the middle schoolers waiting at the bus stop.
I notice kids more in general these days, what with being a parent and all.
While the media loves to terrify us with tales of juvenile delinquency and fears over whatever chemical imbalance is in vogue for children these days, I tend to think the kids are alright.
As I'm leaving the parking lot on this particularly beautiful sunny day, and enjoying how happy this group of five or so kids are, I realize that one of them is either the most boyish looking girl I have ever seen, or she's trans, and whichever it is, for her and her friends, it is clearly a complete non issue.
It's things like this that make me love seattle and love the generations growing up today for whom tolerance is the default.

Oh, and another "my life is actually awesome moment" from a couple of weeks ago.
At the bevmo, showing the girl on the register my ID (which still shows some dude with a beard)

Me: Ok, so I look a little different from the picture but I swear, this really is my ID
Cashier: Oh wow, that is a difference!  You look really good as a blonde!"

And that people, is how you treat the trans girl like a human being.
Totally made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment